Thursday, April 12, 2012

Korean sweet potatoes

I wanted to make this delicious sweet potato dish we started in making in Wichita Falls.  Copying a favorite restaurant called Pascual, we would dice sweet potatoes, sauté them with butter and maple syrup and top them with chopped pecans.  Another delicious variation is to cook them with butter, maple syrup, diced green pepper, and diced ham.  Then top with over easy eggs!

I went to the commissary, and looked for the required sweet potatoes.  I thought I had seen them during a previous shopping trip, but they seemed to be missing this time.  That's when I spotted this bag -I've never bought sweet potatoes in a bag- of Korean sweet potatoes.  They were smaller and more red like the garnet yams, but -hey- the bag clearly says Sweet Potato.  It's even in English!


I didn't think much about it again until later in the week, when I went to make the dish for dinner.  Upon peeling them, I was completely surprised!  There is no orange color at all.  Inside they look just like white potatoes!  I tasted one, and while fairly sweet, even the flavor was no match for the traditional orange sweet potato.  I was not confident they would pair well with maple syrup, so I set them aside to experiment with later, and chose something else to go with dinner.














Upon consulting a friend, I decided to slice those Korean gems and fry them with olive oil and sea salt. They turned out wonderfully:  soft, sweet, and yellow.  And they went perfectly with eggs.  I can't say I would make these all the time, but they are definitely worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...