Thursday, April 26, 2012

15 in 3: Dinner 9 Man Salad with Steak

Welcome to the ninth installment of 15 in 3!  This is the place I am sharing my 15 favorite dinners over the next 3 weeks.  Stay tuned for easy homemade dinner recipes containing lots of whole foods, minimal processed ingredients, and straight forward recipes with everyday healthy ingredients.  Some posts will contain bonus breakfast and snack ideas.  Happy cooking!

Dinner 9:  Man Salad with Steak

I first found a recipe similar to this one in Men's Health Magazine.  I think it was called Muscle Salad.  These days I basically make his and hers versions of salad.  This is his, and last week's Summer Salad with Chicken is hers.


The grocery store was completely out of spinach, so there's none in ours, but I've included it in the recipe the way I normally would make it.

Ingredients:
4 oz. steak
1/4 T. butter
To taste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, pepper

1 1/2 c. chopper romaine or iceberg lettuce
1 1/2 c. spinach

1 hard boiled egg, chopped
1 oz. cheddar or Colby cheese
1/2 c. sugar snap peas, chopped
6 grape tomatoes, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
1/4 cucumber, sliced
1/8 yellow pepper, chopped
1 T. ground flax seed

1 T. salad dressing (I used poppyseed and Husband doused his in ranch.  The calorie total is for 1 T. though:)

Directions:
1)  Melt butter in large skillet.  (Again, obviously, if you have a grill - use it!  You can probably skip the butter, too.)  Add steak and season to taste.  Cook, flipping sides as needed to prevent burning, until it is at your desired doneness.  Mine took 15-20 minutes, but I was preparing four steaks at once.  Slice steak.

2)  You know what to do from here!


This recipe serves one.  Calories: 611.  If you're looking for fewer calories, omit the egg and/or cheese to shed 70 or 110 calories, respectively.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...