The best thing about cooking tilapia for dinner is it takes so little time, but still tastes like a "real" dinner.
I let a recent meal at Carrabba's inspire this dinner: Almond Crusted Tilapia with Pan-seared Summer Vegetables
2 tilapia filets, frozen
1/4 c. egg whites
1/2 c. almond meal (ground blanched almonds)
Crushed red pepper, garlic salt, pepper, and basil to taste
1 T. butter
1 small summer squash
1 small zucchini
1 T. olive oil
2 t. minced garlic
Salt, pepper, and thyme to taste
Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Place frozen tilapia filets in bowl of cool water to thaw. Julienne summer squash and zucchini.
2. Melt butter in large flat-bottomed skillet. Allow butter to cover the bottom of the skillet. Mix almond meal and spices in flat-bottomed dish; put egg whites in separate flat-bottomed dish.
3. Dip tilapia filets one at a time into egg whites, flipping once to coat. Repeat with almond meal spice mixture. Use fingertips to help almond meal mixture adhere evenly to the fish if necessary.
4. Add fish to skillet. Cook until medium golden brown, then flip (flip only once so fish remains intact). Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and cook until fish flakes easily with a fork.
5. Once fish is in skillet, add olive oil and garlic to a separate medium skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add summer squash, zucchini, and spices. Stir often to prevent burning, but encourage browning. Vegetables are done when fork tender and medium brown in some places. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan if desired.