Welcome to the twelfth installment of 15 in 3! This is the place I am sharing my 15 favorite dinners over the next 3 weeks. Stay tuned for easy homemade dinner recipes containing lots of whole foods, minimal processed ingredients, and straight forward recipes with everyday healthy ingredients. Some posts will contain bonus breakfast and snack ideas. Happy cooking!
Dinner 12: Spaghetti with Salad and Bread
1/2 package whole wheat thin spaghetti
4 T. shredded parmesan cheese
4 c. lettuce
1/2 yellow pepper
12 grape tomatoes
4 T. salad dressing
4 Alexia French Rolls
2 T. canola butter
We had these with lasagna during week 1. If you restrained yourself, you may have extra ones in the freezer to use tonight!
1. I had left over sauce in the freezer from when we made pizza, so I just warmed it in a pot on low. If you don't have any left over sauce, go ahead and make it now. It will only take about 5-10 minutes longer than cooking the spaghetti unless you have that awesome Kelly Ripa advertised stove that boils water in 90 seconds.
2. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, chop the salad vegetables, set the table, fold a load of laundry, whatever:) Oh, and stick the frozen rolls in the oven for a whopping 8-10 minutes (I love how quick and easy these are!), about the time you add the spaghetti to the boiling water.
4. Serve sauce over spaghetti topped with parmesan cheese. Pair it with a small side salad and roll with butter. I forgot to get rolls at the store this week, so we made do with "Matt's bread" (white Wonder Bread) toasted with butter and garlic salt in the oven. He was thrilled:)
Serves four. Calories per serving: 517.
*Bonus Breakfast Recipe*
So Satisfying Egg Toast with Cheddar
1 slice whole wheat bread
3 T. egg whites
To taste, salt and pepper
1 oz. slice sharp cheddar cheese
1. Spray oil in pan and fry egg and whites over low heat until done to your liking.
2. Meanwhile, toast bread.
3. Layer toast, followed by egg, salt and pepper, then cheese. Heat in the microwave a few seconds til melted.
Serves one. Calories: 300.