Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Strubbler (long u)

I came up with something new this morning. As soon as Blogger lets me upload the pictures, I will post them here for you. I decided to make some kind of baked fruit thing to use up the managerie of fruits in my refrigerator, but I couldn't decide between fruit crisp (with that buttery cinnamon-y topping I grew up calling strudel) and fruit cobbler (with its more wholesome seeming breakfast-y, biscuit-y topping).

I made both!!

Well, I mean, I didn't make two "baked fruit things". There's no way too of us could reasonably consume the equivalent of two pies. I just put two toppings on one "baked fruit thing". The result is delicious!!

Here's how I did it:

Thankfully the recipes for fruit crisp and fruit cobbler are side by side in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the one I grew up calling "The Betty Crocker Cookbook" for some reason...).

1. To start I cut up and put into the pot the fruit I had on hand (for me it was two apples, two peaches, about 6 strawberries, roughly 1.5 cups frozen blueberries). I followed the recipe by adding cornstarch and sugar, and when it was thick and bubbly transferred it to a glass baking dish.

2. I prepared separately the cobbler topping and crisp/strudel topping. The cobbler topping went on first, then the strudel. I baked it at a median (between the two temperatures specified in the recipes) oven temperature (375 degrees, I think) for a median duration (22 minutes, I think). I have a hot oven (right, Beth?! :), so you may have to adjust appropriately for yours.

3. That's it! The final product has a lot of topping, or maybe I didn't have quite as much fruit as called for in the recipe. Either way, you can adjust the amounts according to your liking. It comes out kind of like coffee cake with fruit on the bottom. Maybe I could call it Fruit on the Bottom Coffee Cake? Not very catchy. Perhaps Crispler? Cobdel? Strubbler? Hmm, better think of a name that actually makes someone want to eat it!

What name ideas do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...