Tuesday, September 06, 2011

They do exist!

I absolutely love fall, mostly for its warm colors and cool, crisp air. Living in warm climates for the past six autumn seasons has been disappointing because my two favorite things about fall have been largely absent...at least until after Thanksgiving, by which time I'm ready for winter!

Even though I haven't been able to see fall outside, I always decorate for it inside, starting with the front door.



I created this door decoration from pieces at Hobby Lobby several years ago. While I've admired its color and texture, I also thought "fall-colored" berries looked kind of made up. I had never seen anything like that actually occur in nature (naturally occuring, by the way, is my favorite kind of decoration).

To my delight, and I admit bewilderment, I discovered today that "fall-colored" berries actually do occur in nature! And in Arizona of all places.



I found these on a bush while out walking Charlie. Aren't they great? I think I will start a collection inside a glass bowl or vase.

On another note, even though it feels and looks (almost) nothing like fall around here, I have the windows open. Yes, it's 91 degrees (a 20 degree cool down for us). Yes, I have perfectly good air conditioning. However, I am also really in need of some fresh air!

I have been working on refinishing that Ikea Poang chair we bought at a thrift store a few months back. Due to threat of rain I again brought it in off the back patio into the dining room today. I had just put a coat of varnish on the bottom sections and needed a safe place for them to try. The stifling stench of the varnish filled the main area of our apartment. I turned on all the fans.



Still smelling after a trip to Target and the Post Office, I returned the chair to the safest side of the patio, hoped for the best, and opened up the windows! Yes, I opened up the windows!! For probably the first time since we moved in and checked that they worked properly. Even though the A/C will have to run a bit more while the fresh air pours in, it will be worth it. The scent of rain in the distance and the cooling respite of clouds makes the windows open even more lovely.

And, yes, that is a wooden spoon propping the window open...reminds me of my childhood:)



Oh, and this is me apparently feeling cute yesterday and taking a self-portrait after getting all cleaned up from running the Saguaro 8-Miler. It was a great day and an even better run!

2 comments:

  1. P.S. Watch out! - According to Matt (qualifications include Eagle Scout and Survival School Graduate) these berries are probably poisonous! Apparently 90% of red UNsegmented berries are, and he would prefer I never touched them again and that I would keep them away from our dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing Matt got home before you decided to try adding them to dinner or something! Kidding! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...