Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Life long learner

I have never been one for primping. I'm generally a wash-n-wear, make-up-free, no-ironing-please kind of girl. I like getting ready to be quick and hassle-free. I do own a straightener, hair dryer, curling iron, and three or four pieces of make-up (use them each about four times a year). Whenever I use them though, it doesn't take long before the curl falls or I get tired of being careful not to get make-up on anything.

I don't like to fidget, and these things make me fidget.

I do, however, like to look decent (particularly my hair because it's probably my best feature), and it occurred to me recently that a five-minutes-or-less, not-going-to-fry-my-hair routine is something I could do and would maybe even like.

In addition to all that, I also realized the desert has been destroying my hair. My split ends are actually fringe and my hair looks like it belongs on a horse!

The problem is, I don't really know anything about doing hair. Everything I learned about person grooming came from sitting on the end of my Mom and Dad's bed watching Mom get ready in the mirror. This is also how I memorized a flower for every letter of the alphabet. Seriously!*

Introducing the mayonnaise treatment.

This looks like something I would have done at age 13, having read about it in some magazine with JTT on the cover. While I have heard of applying mayonnaise to your head, I'd never actually tried it until Sunday.



According to the recipe I used, just mix mayonnaise with a bit of vanilla extract (to tone down the disgusting mayonnaise smell), and apply all over to hair. Check. Then wrap in plastic wrap for about an hour. Check.

It was disgusting, but it worked!! After a thorough wash and condition my hair felt and looked fantastic!

Mayonnaise treatment was step one. I also stopped by Target for split-end repair treatment, leave-in conditioner, and a brush. Yes, I haven't had a brush since 2003. I think I forgot what they were for, but thanks to Aveda (click the "How to make coarse hair smooth and straight" video), now I know!



The procedure does require three arms, but you can attain a moderate degree of success using just two. I was actually pretty shocked that I pulled this off, even with a $5 brush instead of the $20 one advertised in the video. Three days away from turning 28, and I finally learned how to do my hair!



I'm pretty sure this is more than you cared to know. For some reason I couldn't help but share.

*P.S. Anemone, Bluebell, Calla Lily, Dogwood, Exacum, Forget Me Not, Geranium, Holly Hock, Iris, Johnquil, Kalanchoe, Lily of the Valley, Morning Glory, Nasturnum, Orchid, Pansy, Quince, Rose, Sunflower, Tulip, Uvalaria, Violet, Wysteria, Xeranthamum, Yarrow, Zinnia. I have no idea if half of those spellings are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...