Friday, July 08, 2011

Less stuff, more freedom

I can vividly remember traveling home for Christmas with my old college roommate and a stuffed-full green duffel bag in tow. Even the times I flew home, that medium-ish blue suitcase of mine would carry so many clothes I'd have to let the expandable zipper open. And there would be a carry-on, and a purse. Maybe, just maybe, the purse would fit inside the carry-on. What I did with the Christmas presents? I guess that was back when you were allowed two carry-ons!

Each trip thereafter (when I remembered the weight of my stuff), attempts would be made to simplify, to downsize. I would even make packing lists weeks ahead of time (me, can you imagine?) to try to narrow my cargo down to the essentials. The allure of "stuff" was strong though, even when you knew it shouldn't be. When you see family twice a year, you want to look your best, show off all your nicest things. So, if you're home for a 20-day college break, you bring 20 tops to wear, right? And you might as well bring the brown and the black shoes and the boots because what if you want to wear that top or this one? I really did this!



And I really did this.

It took a long time to engrain in me the concept of less is more. Intuitively, less is not more. Less is less. In practice though, less stuff means more freedom - less baggage, more carefree - less worry, more focus on family - less focus on self, and more time - less time waiting for lost luggage!

Over the years, my baggage has been reduced tremendously. I care less about what I have and more about who I have. I spend less time choosing clothes and more time choosing contentment. I do this because, for, and with a husband who reminds me we don't want to move that and a Savior who reminds me where to find my treasure. I don't do this well. This is simple, yet hard. Why, I wonder, do I want to or expect myself to hold on to these things?

I have learned a few things:
1. Don't bring workout clothes in the winter. If you do, you will workout once because, after all, you brought workout clothes all the way there. If you do not, and you want to workout, there is this thing called borrowing or you could just workout in your pj's and wash them. Yes, people don't mind you using their washing machines.

2. Bring 1/2 - 2/3 the clothes you think you need, closer to 1/2 for long trips. Again, washing machines. Also, rewearing. Third, spending half the day in pj's with coffee (or in swimsuits if you're traveling during summer) anyways.

3. Limit your shoes. Black or brown? Pick one and go with it. You automatically cut down on shoes, belts, tops, socks, jackets, and maybe even bras. Choose one everyday shoe, and maybe one more just in case you're like Cindy and your sandal breaks at the restaurant:) Wear one of the pairs, as well as one of everything else, on the plane (or in the car), of course.

4. Travel size is worth it. I used to bring full-size toiletries when I was going home for a long trip. It is so unnecessary. You will realize this about the time you're drying off your shampoo bottle and trying to stuff it into a gallon-size zip-lock bag. Either take travel-size with you or buy travel-size when you get there. There's always a grocery store on the way home from the airport, always.

5. Limit your literature. Take one book only, not the one you're about to finish reading. Tear out a few sodoku or crossword puzzle pages instead of bringing the whole book, because -really- who can choose between sodoku and crosswords? Bring a journal, sure, but not your Bible. Maybe this sounds harsh, but there are two much lighter options: a) read scripture online, such as at biblegateway.com or b) borrow a bible from the people you are visiting. It's the most popular book on the planet; they probably have one somewhere.

6. Carry-on only. When you do all this, you will have just the essentials, and they will fit inside a carry-on. Did I mention bring only one coat and wear it (or carry it) in the airport? The flight attendants really won't hold this against you.

Wow, I did not foresee this becoming a travel post:) Back to the clothing issues...

Recently I have found extra encouragement in the area of simplifying at Small Notebook. Her series about making under your closet could change your life!

How to Downsize Your Wardrobe with Common Sense


The Closet Make Under: Out with the Old



The Closet Make Under: Buying the New



The Closet Make Under

I did this, made under my closet. It's a new sensation to wear my clothes often. I'm serious! That is probably sad, I think. Today I realize this is the third time I've worn this top in a month. But why not? - I love this top! Now I get to enjoy it even more instead of feeling bad about still not wearing that tucked-away top in the back of the closet, unworn...as if my clothes have feelings?!



I am toying with the idea of not buying any new clothes or shoes for a long time, til my birthday, til after the half-marathon, til Christmas, maybe a year from now?

These shoes, however, are one thing I've bought recently that actually adds to the simplicity. They go with everything; but not like those old flip flops that sort of go with everything, yet actually go with nothing well. Plus, they make me feel pretty.

Simple, pretty, easy-to-wear - yes, this is how it should be.

3 comments:

  1. Loved this post!- My mom is here right now from Arizona and she has been going crazy because she has been wearing her same 5-6 outfits over and over for the last 6 weeks. I said to her haven't you noticed I wear the same clothes every week. She said YES, like it has been driving her crazy to see me wear the same things over and over. Probably how many of my friends feel :) -I am now going to the sites you linked to hopefully inspire my mother to "make under" her closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did replace those flip-flops! Love you - love your posts!
    Momma - Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! I get excited thingking about reading your new posts! I believe I will also follow this challenge! No clothes for me please!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...