Friday, July 15, 2011

Gratitude

How do I say this? I want to tell you about my new participation with Compassion. For some reason I assume you'll think I'm being arrogant, bragging about putting my money here. But, the truth is, you know my heart and know that is not it. Likewise, I know your heart and know you will not judge me either.

It is about people. It is about love. It is about the challenge of the Gospel.

The reality is that compassion is overwhelming when you think about it long enough to let it sink in. That's called stirring your heart, because when you stir the fire that is the Spirit, it burns afresh and you notice Him there again. You hear Him, and you respond out of your heart.



I receive a picture in the mail and I remember, but how could I forget, these children. It was a just a week or two that I was so on fire, and spent all weekend on the computer watching videos about orphans, learning about why AIDS is really such a problem, contemplating giving man a fish or teaching him to fish.

What if I have enough to do both?

So often, I ponder that question, "If I give to him, how will he use it?" But Jesus didn't ask us to give with strings attached or based on conditions. He asked us to give freely, with generosity of heart, giving all that we have, all that we are.



I thank you, Beth, for your constancy of generosity with Compassion and the loving dedication and sacrifice that washes your life white. I thank you, Kimberly, for teaching me about giving, about embracing moments, about the ways little things and deep gratitude bring people together, and for your persistence for God, especially through Samaritan's Purse. I'm grateful God has made a Church-home for you. You two have planted good seeds. You tend the garden daily. For your labors, I drip with gratitude.



God has been using A Holy Experience to speak to me this summer. I read through her stories like someone's about to take the book from my hands. I just want one more page. The one I keep coming back to is about cookies...go figure:)

The way Ann tells it, she was standing up in front of her Church on Compassion Sunday telling her story about visiting her sponsored child in Guatemala and the life-changing impact it has had on her. She speaks about the weeks after the visit, and the disillusionment. Life-changing. Is my life-changing? I want it to. I want my Spirit to be stronger than my flesh. (You would not believe how many clothing catalogs have come in the mail since I put in writing my prospect of not buying clothing for a while!)

As she recounts the events to her home Church, and encourages them to engage in the life-changing, she offers them cookies. She has a few boxes and hands them to some boys in the front row. They are thrilled to get cookies at church! She informs them that there are enough for everyone, but they will have to share. Share. Three boxes for the whole Church.

The boys don't want to share. There don't seem to be enough. There parents make them, of course.

The point, as I'm sure you see, is that there is enough for everyone. We need not worry about our clothing or food, as recounted here in Matthew 6.

I swear I've posted about this somewhere before. Please forgive me for my redundancy. It's just that, too many cookies make you sick! Even if you develop such a tolerance for large amounts of cookies as I have disgustingly done, too many still makes you sick! You may not notice right away. Others may not notice right away. You may even store up the cookies and try to trust that you'll eat just one a day. Does it work for you? It doesn't work for me. If I have them, I eat them. All. For my sake and theirs, I want to give the cookies away.



I'm running a half-marathon in October. I'm running in honor of two things: perseverance (in developing a strong Spirit..."Yes, I will run to that tree -I mean cactus-, and the next one...) and giving away the cookies (sharing my time, talent, and treasure).

If I pray while I run, it goes much better. It gives me so much joy to pray for people while I run. It also helps keep me from thinking about running, or more specifically, keep me from thinking about stopping running. I would also be thrilled to raise money for Compassion through this run.

I have a proposal.

Post a prayer request comment below and I will do three things:

(1) Run one mile (during training) praying for your request,
(2) Run one mile (during the event) praying for your request, or possibly less depending on number of comments:), and
(3) Donate $10 to Compassion on your behalf.

Please join me! Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Brooke you are so inspiring and challenging! You push me to go to that uncomfortable zone and face reality! I would love to have you pray for my dad that he can find a way to retire and live each day without agony in leaving my mom home alone. I will pray for you that you continue to be inspired to journal using your God given gifts! Love you~
    Aunt Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, you are so inspiring and challenging at the same time! You push me to go to that uncomfortable place that makes one break out in a sweat just thinking about facing it! I can do it! Good for you to find in your heart a desire to share your gifts with others~ not just your abundance! My prayer request is for my dad, that God will help him to find a way to retire and to be able to enjoy the time he and my mom have left togther!(no, she is not "actively" dying~ just many health problems!) I love and miss you! May God continue to bless you with His strength and direction! Aunt Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, does this count as 2 or 1? Ha, love you so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Brooke. And Tucson is a great place to train for a half-marathon, but I think I'd prefer the winter months than summer... :) Have you run near or thru Saguaro Nat'l Park yet?

    I don't have a specific prayer request for you, but just wanted to say I support you and your desire... Compassion is a great organization, and committing to praying so much... don't think you could find a better way to spend your time! God bless you and this effort, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, I have a very big one for you. Please pray that Mal has a healthy full term baby & stays healthy herself this time. She said the other day she said feels as if she has been pregnant forever & I told her she has been for the last 3 years! Hopefully with lots of prayers we will have a new bundle by Christmas! Will pray for your running as well. Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Debbie, I totally agree with you...Tucson is a great place to run and I wish I was training in the winter:) I have not run through Saguaro Nat'l Park yet, but I have plans to run there once a week next month because we are doing an 8 mile race there on Labor Day. Do you have any wisdom from your Half Marathon experience? Also, where was the race you ran?

    @Karen, I will definitely be praying for Mal. We all hope for a healthy mom and baby!

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...