Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Our snow day



We had a "snow day" today, and this is -no kidding- how it looks outside. It's about 23 degrees and there's a thin sheet of ice over everything. And we haven't seen a single salt or gravel truck come by...



That's Texas for ya! Truly, I'm sure the road conditions on the crazy-high, triple decker overpasses are treacherous, and the temperatures are still decently below freezing so nothing is melting, but it's still funny to us.

Matt and I were reminiscing about the last time we remember school being closed. We went home a couple hours early because the snow was coming down at a rate of about six inches per hour. We went over to his house and played in the snow. Then he tried to drive me home, but the truck got stuck. Eventually Pat from Mancino's (the pizza and grinders place I worked at at the time) came and picked me up in his four-wheel-drive truck because he needed me to come into work (they didn't want people who lived in the country to try coming into town). We closed at about 7:00 pm that night.





In other news, I have a new product endorsement, and Matt couldn't be happier (for once)!

For a long time I bought Smart Balance "buttery spread" which is a blend of plant oils. I liked it, but there were a few ingredients that were weird to me (such as BHT and TBHQ). I haven't looked them all up to find out what they are exactly, but they sure don't sound like butter to me. And then I began thinking I didn't really want to spread oil on my toast anyways. I thought I should get some real butter, so I found Organic Valley whipped butter. We tried this and it is like spreading rocks on your bread unless you let it sit on the counter for half an hour. That's just not practical.

All along Matt is saying, "Can't we just get regular ol' Country Crock or something?" So I go to the grocery store again and find this: Country Crock Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil. Perfect! And I love the simple ingredient list: butter (cream, salt), canola oil, buttermilk, water, salt, lactic acid, vitamin a (palmitate). "I can't believe it's really butter!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...