Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Peach-Berry Betty



I made this delicious dessert last week. I was looking for a way to use up all the extra rolls from Thanksgiving. I had made whole wheat rolls, and since we ate about two, there were about 22 left over! I froze them, which is a good thing because they were perfect for this "dessert" -as the cook book calls it- that I think counts as a great breakfast!! Here is the recipe if you would like to try it.

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh red raspberries or one 12-ounce package frozen red raspberries (I used one 10-ounce package of frozen blackberries.)
2 cups sliced, peeled peaces or frozen unsweetened peach slices (I used one 10-ounce package frozen peach slices.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger (right, where do you find this?) or 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (that's better;)
5 cups soft whole wheat bread cubes (about 7 slices)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Directions:
1. Thaw berries and peaches, if frozen. Do not drain. For filling, in a large mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, and ginger. Add berries, peaches, and their juices; toss to coat. Add 2 cups of the bread cubes; toss gently till combined. Transfer filling to an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish.

2. For topping, place remaining bread cubes in a medium mixing bowl. Drizzle with melted butter or margarine; toss to coat. Sprinkle topping over fruit filling. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 30 minutes or till fruit is tender and topping is golden. If desired, serve warm with whipped cream. Makes 6 servings.

3. Note: the rolls I used were rather dry (that's probably why we only ate two!) so I drizzled about 1/4 cup of water over the top layer of bread cubes before putting it in the oven. I also sprinkled about 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top. It was delicious!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. trader joes! (that's where you can find crystallized ginger, that is :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...