Monday, September 17, 2012

Most people stay 29, but I'm skipping it

I was all set to take the picture with the candles in the cake, but forgot...that's life!

Hello there!  I'm back!  

On Sunday I celebrated 29 years of living.  I am grateful to have had this time to live, love, and learn.  What a 29 years it has been!  Husband, of course, has been reminding me that -because we are living in Korea- I am technically 30 years old.  And next year -when we are living in America again- I will turn 30 years old again.  I will have two 30th birthdays, skipping 29 entirely.  

Koreans calculate birthdays differently than Americans.  In Korea, you turn one the day you are born.  This essentially means Koreans who have been on earth for the same amount of time as you consider themselves to be one year older.  If you are 35, a Korean born on the same day and year is 36.  As Beth pointed out, they are counting the year they are living rather than the one they have completed.  I kind of like this. 

In other news, I have so much to share about our wonderful visit with Husband's parents.  We were so grateful to have time with them here, and had a blast showing them around Korea!  I spent last week recovering and getting caught up.  This week I will post the pictures, but I'm going to need the next few days to finish the captions.

Also, September has been gorgeous, truly breathtaking right from day one.  September has always been my favorite month, but not just because of my birthday.  I absolutely adore the transition from summer to fall.  This morning I sat staring out my open window until my coffee cup ran dry.  I breathed in the cool, crisp air, and let it cover me.  I sat still, cozy, and reflective with a silent mouth, but a heart rich in thought.  I let God whisper wisdom and encouragement deep into my heart.  It was simultaneously soothing and invigorating.  

September is slipping quickly though; already just 12 more days to savor.  Our November trip to Thailand is officially booked.  We have all of our gear, too, and the only thing left to purchase is travel insurance.  There are just a mere eight weeks remaining between now and then.  I need to make them really count, yet with an open hand grip on the sand, you know?

Step 1:  We have a lot of hiking, biking and kayaking on this trip, so I need to get back in shape!  Sign me up for running and TRX four times per week, and -um- for real this time, okay?

Step 2:  Keep working on finishing my two-year-old pre-school lesson plans, and post the original ideas to Joy Before You.  September plans are finished; now complete the remaining eight months over the next eight weeks.

Step 3:  Korean vocabulary and simple phrases are going great.  Now I need to learn to carry on a conversation!  While in Busan I was super proud of myself for ordering coffee in Korean.  {Sam Americano hago ooyoo jooseyo.}  But then the barista asked me a question and I was clueless.  (Lucily her English was impeccable.  She was just wanting to make sure I had time to wait for her to brew a new pot of coffee.)

Step 4:  It's time for the next phases of two ongoing projects:  teaching pre-school religious education at church (please pray for me and this sure-to-be-rambunctious group of 3 and 4 year olds starting the last Sunday in September!) and planning the Thunderbolt Feast.  Bring on the positive self talk!  

Four steps; I can do this.  How about you?  Do you have a plan for your fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...