Thursday, May 03, 2012

15 in 3: Dinner 14 Sweet Soy Salmon with Risotto and Bok Choy

Welcome to the fourteenth installment of 15 in 3!  This is the place I am sharing my 15 favorite dinners over the next 3 weeks.  Stay tuned for easy homemade dinner recipes containing lots of whole foods, minimal processed ingredients, and straight forward recipes with everyday healthy ingredients.  Some posts will contain bonus breakfast and snack ideas.  Happy cooking!


Dinner 14:  Sweet Soy Salmon with Risotto and Bok Choy

Okay, so I said none of these recipes would call for unusual ingredients.  Admittedly, bok choy is not among the most conventional of vegetable choices, as evidenced my Husband's confused and hesitant reaction to "that green stuff".  I explained to him that I was going to make green beans, but realized we're already having green beans tomorrow night.  He (who loves green beans and other "normal" vegetables) said, "Who says we can't have green beans two nights in a row?"  Well, apparently I do...  At any rate, if you can't stomach bok choy and would rather have green beans, you won't hurt my feelings.  Just start them at least 10 minutes sooner than the bok choy to ensure they're done when everything else is.

Sorry for the blurry photo.  I didn't realize it wasn't clear until today and the salmon is long gone.

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless salmon fillet
4-8 T. low sodium soy sauce
4-8 t. brown sugar
1 t. minced garlic
To taste, pepper
1/2 to 1 c. water

1 package Lundberg Risotto (Alfredo and Parmesan Cheese flavor)
1/2 c. milk
1/2 T. butter

2 heads baby bok choy
1 T. butter
1 t. minced garlic
To taste, salt and pepper


Directions:
1.  Combine low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and water in ziplock bag or container with lid big enough to hold the salmon.  Cut salmon into four 4 oz. portions, add to marinade and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.

2.  *Use a grill and a wooden plank if you have one.  It is way better!*  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line glass or metal baking dish with aluminum foil (trust me, you do NOT want to scrape caramelized soy sauce sugar stuff off your pan).  Insert salmon portions, drizzling some of the marinade over top, sprinkle with pepper.  Bake for about 25 minutes or until flakes easily with a fork.

3.  Prepare risotto according to package instructions.  You will need to stir it frequently, and it takes about 20 minutes.

4.  Chop bok choy, discarding the thickest/bottom part of the white ends.  With about 5 minutes remaining in cooking time for salmon and risotto, add butter and garlic to medium skillet.  Cook on medium heat until garlic just starts to brown.  Add bok choy, stirring almost constantly until slightly wilted and tender.

Serve and enjoy!

Serves four.  Calories per serving: 485.

P.S.  The final dinner -#15- will be delayed until Sunday (because we're heading out to taco night and then have two fun evenings out planned for the weekend!).  I feel like calling it "This Ain't Your Mama's Meatloaf" but that's not really me.  Who am I fooling?  If I'm honest I'll call it "The Meatloaf I Made Up From That Awesome Meatball Recipe".  Stay tuned...oh, the anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...