Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Best cookies ever!


Believe me when I say I've tasted A LOT of cookies.  I'm pretty much a cookie fanatic.  I have a deep appreciation for the beauty that is chocolate combined with peanut butter.

Last week I decided to make peanut butter cookies and I set about the internet looking for a great recipe.  I didn't want something mediocre.  Boring!  I wanted THE perfect peanut butter cookie.  I found it at SmittenKitchen.  Thank you for sharing, Smitten Kitchen!  And now to pay forward the sharing.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. peanut butter at room temperature (smooth/creamy)
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. peanut butter chips
1/2 c. chocolate chips (I used dark)
1 tbsp. sugar, regular or superfine, for sprinkling

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

2.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter together until fluffy.  Add the sugars and beat until smooth.  Add the egg and mix well.  Add the milk and the vanilla extract.  Add the flour mixture and mix thoroughly.  Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips. 

3.  Place sprinkling sugar -the remaining tablespoon- on a plate.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto uncreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion.  (I scooped up some dough with a spoon, lightly rolled it in my palms quickly, then rolled it in the sugar -worked very well).  Using a fork, lightly indent with a criss-cross pattern (I found it didn't really matter if you did this.  If you like flatter cookies, go ahead though).

4.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (Mine were perfect at 10.  Check often!).  Do not over bake.  Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.  (This is the genius!)  

5.  Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!!!


2 comments:

  1. must try... AND if you can somehow get your hands on strawberries and rhubarb in Korea, you have to try her (smitten kitchen) strawberry rhubarb crumble. It's a dessert that surpassed even chocolate chip cookies as our favorite dessert for awhile. SO GOOD. You could probably do it with other fruit that might be more accessible for you, but tuck it away for trying sometime when you can get those two lovely ingredients. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious, Debbie! There are lots of strawberries here, but I haven't seen rhubarb yet. Do you know when it's in season? I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...