Friday, February 17, 2012

Revisiting thirty before 30


A year and a half ago I started a Thirty Before 30 list.  I guess I'm on the ball for starting so soon.  Apparently 30 was looking pretty imminent!  It's still a year and a half away though, and while I'm not anxious about it or anything, it is still in the back of my mind...especially now that Husband is down to 363 days in his year of being 29.


How is my list looking?  Not too shabby.


1. Sky dive.  (I think I'm going to change this one or at least postpone it to the next decade.  I thought this would be awesome as a shared experience, but nobody else wants to go!)
2. Travel abroad to a new continent.
3. Backpack anywhere.  (I love backpacking.  Hopefully we will find a place to go in Korea, although I've done enough walking in Korea so far that I'm thinking it might count for this!)
4. Start an IRA.  (I'm counting this as done because we decided Husband's IRA and me as his beneficiary was sufficient.)
5. Live in a house with a yard.  (Hopefully at the next base!)
6. Do a pull-up.  (Well, basically.)
7. Be 15 pounds lighter.
8. Have a baby naturally.
9. Run an 8 minute mile.  (I know I can do a 9 minute mile.  Hopefully I'll do some more practicing and training and nail this down this spring.) 
10. Contribute regularly to a cottage fund.
11. Own a dog.
12. Read the whole Bible.  (I made a plan for this today!  I hope I can stick to it!)
13. Go to a rock concert.
14. Master self-control with food.  (In three days I've had 6 slices of cake...plenty of room to grow -um, not literally, I hope- here.)
15. Tend a garden.  (Probably once I get that yard via #5.)
16. Learn to cook eggs well.
17. Help make maple syrup at G & G Miller's.  (Well, I didn't get to help make it, but I did get to revisit the sugar shack.  Getting to Remus at the precise time the sap is running would be really tricky considering I currently live in Korea.)
18. Go to Uncle John's Cider Mill in the fall.
19. Go on a hay ride in the woods.
20. Volunteer at a shelter for homeless people.
21. Train the dog.
22. Develop strong familial relationships.
23. Visit Alaska.  (I'm changing this one to Visit the Pacific Northwest by age 35.)
24. Visit California.  (And I'm changing this one to visit Colorado and North Dakota.)
25. Cook food from a new culture.  (I'm channeling Jenn...there is a Pho night coming up at our new church!)
26. Initiate and nurture female friendships.
27. Make a five course meal from scratch.
28. Scrapbook a week of my life (got this idea from a magazine...it would be like a time capsule:).  
29. Write a children's book.  (My focus has changed.  Let's switch this to Build a children's education website.)
30. Love well more often than not.  (I don't think I feel comfortable actually ever scratching this off.  It's so on-going.)



There's nothing wrong with achievable goals!  Revisiting this list helps me clarify what I really want, and bring me back to the things that motivate, nurture, and inspire me.


Do you have a list?


If 30 or more is too much, try a list of goals that is more reasonable for what you actually want.  It doesn't have to have a name with a nice ring to it.  It doesn't have to have a name at all.  The point is just to live intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...