Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Order calms

Photocredit: Hardtodescribe.tumblr.com

I am so overly organized.  I remake lists to make them neat.  Everything has its place, and everything has a secondary place for where I put it when I don't actually feel like putting it "away" (i.e. "properly").

Sometimes this drives Husband crazy.  He can't find things because I've put them "away".  (Ironically, the one thing I can never seem to remember where I've put it away is something Husband would never lose: my Leatherman.)  He protests with good reason.  I defend my OCD tendencies.  You get the picture.  We laugh, we love, and it all works out at the end of the day.

Recently I organized Husband's closet.  This was a brave move on my part because it's his closet, but I proceeded boldly because, after all, I'm the one putting the laundry away.  I told him what I was doing and said it was to make his life easier.  Lucky day for me, he was grateful because

Order Calms.

He reminded me that we really should get a painting/picture/print made (because they do that kind of thing for the cheap here in Korea) like the one Mrs. Head had in the downstairs bathroom, the room with the delicate antique hand mirrors on the wall and tins of long-time-ago toiletries on the shelf.  These wise words are why we cherish it:

Listening to your heart, finding out who you are, is not simple.
Order calms.
Live what you believe - make your whole life your art.
Nothing you are doing is wasted time.

I didn't know until recently how much Husband also cherished this simple piece of art in the Head's downstairs bathroom.  He said, "I used that bathroom a lot," which translates to: 

"I spent so much time at Colonel and Mrs. Head's house during those big, hard, formational years while I was at the Academy.  I'll always remember, love and respect them for the magnitude of their hospitality, wisdom, knowledge and joy.  Rereading these simple words, I remember their legacy, and my life is better because of their presence in it."  

And I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...