Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Husband had a birthday

Husband's birthday was yesterday. Yes, he's a "Valentine's Day Baby". No need to remind him. He talks about being annoyed in grade school that there was always so much pink and hearts on his birthday. I can't blame him. It's a lot of pink and hearts for anyone to tolerate, but especially for a boy on his birthday.

I try to mostly forget the Valentine part and make it all about Birthday around here. Still, no matter how many times I say "Happy Birthday" he always responds "Happy Valentine's Day".


My husband is a simple man. He doesn't need a lot of frills for a great birthday.  The recipe = gift + dinner + cake + together time. For the gift I got him the new VivoBarefoot running shoes he's wanted for months, which will replace his old worn-out pair. He was thrilled:) For dinner I made him a family favorite: Rita's Barbecued Hotdogs. The cake was devil's food with cream cheese frosting. Our together time...well, lucky for Husband, he got to fly yesterday. I'm thrilled he got to fly on his birthday!  It was his second flight here, and he got to see some pretty cool stuff. The only downside is he didn't get home until after nine. No problem though; we're pretty used to this. I reheated dinner and we celebrated happily.

When I was a kid, birthdays were simple like this. I got to choose a friend or two to come over. Grandpa and Grandma and sometimes aunts and uncles were there, too. Usually we had The Favorite Family Dinner {Mom's Sweet and Sour Pork Chops with mashed potatoes and corn}, followed by opening gifts, cake (just the regular boxed mix...I had chocolate every year), and ice cream. I like simple birthdays. Sometimes we go out to dinner, but the last time there was a party was the year we both turned 21. Maybe there will be a party next year to celebrate year number 30!

The year you turn 29, by the way, is apparently the year you start feeling old.  It's the last 20-something birthday. I'm still 28 for several more months and it feels like the last young, carefree year. Once you turn 29 people are asking about your savings for retirement, if you're going to refinance your house, and when you're going to finally start having kids. The clock is ticking, you know?

We talked about all three of these things last night - actually, but they will have to be the subject of another post. This one is all about birthday.

Happy Birthday Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...