Thursday, February 02, 2012

Here we go

Everyone is reminding me today that at this time tomorrow I will be on my way to Korea. Thanks for freaking me out this morning, everyone. Just kidding, sort of.

I just keep telling myself I'm getting on a plane just like any other plane trip. I'm just flying home. 

Okay, so I've never been to this home before. I've been staying in other people's homes for six weeks. My husband has been in Korea for almost a month, but has only been in our new home for six days. By the way, he's still living out of his suitcase, too. Also, we're hoping for a good WiFi connection in the airport so we can contact each other when I arrive, and -did I mention- he doesn't know how to get to the airport yet because his GPS is stuck in the Hangul language mode?

Whoa, back up. Sorry, I did not mean to complain. I'm reminded of my old boss, Nina, from the CSU Campus Activities Center. She would always say "A thousand things went right today." 

She is absolutely right.


The pup is ready for travel. It's a good thing, too, considering three days ago I was calling the ER vet about his allergic reaction to a routine vaccine. I didn't mention that tidbit to the USDA animal export folks though...figured we could just keep that to ourselves. He's been so adaptable through this whole six week trip to Michigan. I think he going to do great just curling up inside his carrier for 15 hours. I kind of wish I could join him there.

All this time with the family has been wonderful. 

The best parts have been:

Seeing everyone multiple times in the same trip
Walks in the snow
Relaxing with family doing the everyday things like watching TV, going to Target, and doing the dishes
God time in the quiet snowy woods
Great food with my favorite people
Cooking with and for family
Nice guest beds all cozy and ready for me
Sleeping in any time I want
Traveling with just one suitcase
Quiet coffee in the morning when we're all trying to pray, but we keep talking instead

The next time I write I'll either be in Korea or stuck in some random airport trying to figure out how to say bathroom in Japanese. 

When people talk about adventure, they mostly refer to the grand romance of a new and exciting journey. In reality, it's just as much that as trying to hold your pee for five hours because you don't want to cross over your plane seat mates for the 15th time, talking to five people before discovering your suitcase is actually in Guam, taking a birdie bath in an airport bathroom sink, and asking a total stranger if you can borrow their phone to call your ride. 

The real grand romance is what you feel once at our destination when you're struck with the bewilderment of what you just accomplished and that you arrived safely despite your obstacles. It is empowerment, strength, and an unexpected eagerness to venture again

Adventure is the story you get to tell at the end of the day.


***********************************************************************************
Dear God,
You are wonderful, good, and true. You are the one in whom I trust and from whom I receive all strength and grace. I love you and I choose you. Please protect me and all my fellow travelers during our journeys and at our destinations. This is my heart, but let your will come, not mine. I praise you because you are God. You work all things out for the good of those who love you.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, and love you dearly! Good perspective, friend. Can't wait to walk through this next journey with you, no matter how many miles apart we are. And all I can say about the not peeing for several hours is "I hear you!" I used to try to make it my entire 9 hour flight without having to get up, unless I was on the aisle. Don't think I could do 14 though, so.... have fun. :) Much love.

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...