Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First impressions

Kamaseyo!

These are some of the first pictures I took in Korea.  I took them while on a walk -perhaps my first walk- and they are in general order of the walk, starting at my apartment.  They will probably seem really random (they are) and you'll be thinking "What in the world am I looking at?" (so was I).  

I'm not going to describe each picture.  You know almost as much about this place as I do.  Just take note of the fact that Korea does not have any apparent zoning laws:  residential, business, and agricultural land uses are all mixed together.  Also, it's a small country -roughly the size of Indiana- so they use every inch of space available to them.  Things often look -for lack of a better word- trashy, and in a way they are.  The reality though is that they are just using and reusing what they have.  Our lives might look much the same if were in the same situation.













 Lots of dead cabbage and other vegetables.  I finally know exactly what a chinese cabbage looks like, or at least a dead one.  All of this produce and rice is going to be beautiful in a few months!

Now we're back to the apartment, home sweet home:)






The area around us is basically rice paddies, dairy farms, a few businesses, and several apartment complexes.  It's an unusual (for me) mixture, and it so weird to have pumpkins growing next to the parking lot and herbs alongside the road, but it really works here.  I'm glad you came by to see what it looks like here.

Komsameda!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...