Friday, January 20, 2012

Mrs. Loznak


Web-sourced photo of my old alma mater, Perrin Palmer Elementary.

Speaking of memory lane, I stopped by Kroger for some groceries the other day. While I was inspecting the produce near the store's entry, in walked Mrs. Loznak, my fifth grade teacher.

She was a touch surprised to see me. Maybe the fact that I haven't lived in this town in ten years had something to do with it. We said hello. She was obviously wanting to get her groceries more than make small talk with a student from 17 years ago. Holy cow, does that make me feel old! Maybe "holy cow" makes me old, too. One day my kids will make fun of me for being so 90s.

We moved on to our separate grocery lists. As we went through the store, our paths crossed several times, and I just couldn't help but think of all the ways Mrs. Loznak, back in fifth grade, had so much to do with who I am and what I know now.

I compared price per ounce for different sized bags of pecans.

Thank you for math skills, Mrs. Loznak.

I analyzed sodium content for various brands of black beans.

Thank you for good judgement about nutrition, Mrs. Loznak.

I bought quinoa.

Thank you for encouraging me to try new things, Mrs. Loznak.

To all the teachers, old and new, your work was and is so worth it! Thank you for the humility to plant seeds and gracefully allow someone else the harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...