Thursday, January 19, 2012

Memory lane


After dropping Husband off at the airport last week -for his maiden voyage to South Korea- I decided to take the scenic way home, the back way on Airport Rd.

The drive to and through my little hometown was a true trip down memory lane.  Let the stream-of-consciousness ensue.


There are barns everywhere here.  Some are dilapidated, some are shiny new.  This is so peaceful here.

Corn fields for miles.  I bet that is one with mint. Oh, I miss that summertime aroma with the windows down in the country.

There's the road Husband's aunt and uncle live on. I remember double dates with his cousin.

Here's DeWitt Road.  Mom's reminder, "Be careful on the big curve on DeWitt Road!"

I pass tractors and country drivers.  Maybe I'm used to city traffic now.

A dairy farm.  I forget all about holding my breath. Remember how we could smell it at the high school sometimes on a windy day. When was the last time I saw a dairy farm?

Close to town now and my now Mother-in-laws reminder to newly licensed sons: "Twenty one's coming up!"


Into town, there's the house of the youth group leader.  I guess her front porch view is that factory now.

I lived down on Morton street.  It was a mile walk to the City Park Pool in the summer.  I think we paid 50 cents to get in.

Quik Stop is all boarded up now.  We would go there and put in just a couple bucks, always with cash. Remember the chocolate malts with the wooden "spoons".

I remember when that courthouse was built.  We all called it the mountain at the end of Clinton Avenue.

The car wash is gone, just an empty lot now.  I guess I'll go to the one uptown.


That tire shop used to be a chinese restaurant.  I think it was a pizza parlor before that.  At least it's not the other way around.

There's the Rite Aid where Marcy worked in the photo department.  That was when it was new, twelve years ago now.

The Baptist Church is bigger than ever, still not as big as the city block sized ones in Texas though.

Husband's grandma used to manage The West Side Deli.  Amazing how that's still the same after all this time.

I remember getting stuck in the slush in the middle of Old 27 on my way into work at Mancino's.  That was a great first job. Husband kids that he dated me for forty percent off grinders and pizza.

Things have changed plenty, yet they're still the same.  I think that's the same anywhere.

Funny that Korea, half the world away, "looks just like here". 

I think it's true that God gives us just enough change with the seasons and sufficient sameness with the repetition of a year to satisfy our need for novelty and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...