Thursday, November 03, 2011

Altar linens

Our Church uses special linens for the altar when we consecrate the gift of bread and wine to God, to remember the sacrifice of body and blood from God.


Like any other linens, they must be washed. At our new church I decided to volunteer to help meet this need.

It was a bit confusing at first. The linens came with instructions for washing, drying, ironing, and folding. The instructions even included using starch, which was a whole new world for me. Husband's experience pressing uniforms in the military was very helpful in this area!

Once I got the hang of it though, and discovered I was not in fact going to scorch the perfectly white linens, it was a beautiful thing.



It took watchful, careful hands to wield the hot iron and simple linen cloths gracefully, albeit not perfectly.


I thought about Jesus as I worked. I thought about his enormous sacrifice. I thought about the Joy set before Him. I thought about the gift of life He offers each day. Life through following The Way.

I thought about how this life requires watchful, careful hands to wield it gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...