Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Thank you for the gifts

Wow, whoa, deep breathing sigh.

I'm reading One Thousand Gifts this morning, written by the blogger I've mentioned Ann Voskamp. I began reading her book a few nights ago after purchasing it at a going-out-of-business book sale. It begins with her take on what happened in the hearts of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. It makes more sense to me, resonates more, than all the other interpretations I've read.

Other interpretations always say Adam and Eve thought God was holding out on them by not allowing them to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. I agree that they probably thought God was holding out on them; keeping something they wanted from them for his own good. I can see quite easily how -with a little distortion from the serpent- God's choice to restrict this tree could be construed as holding out on them. Still, I didn't really understand how this applied to me. I think that's because I couldn't relate it to a personal experience of thinking God has been holding out on me.

Personally, it brings more clarity for me to read "thought God was holding out on them" as "thought they deserved/were entitled to everything yet God wasn't giving them everything". Adam and Eve had so much, this whole beautiful garden. There was one more thing they wanted though. And if God wasn't going to give it to them, they would take it themselves.

Whoa, that sounds familiar! After all, it's just one more thing.

Adam and Eve had perfect lives before this. Really. Not the I'm "perfect" in my imperfections kind of perfect lives. They had all their needs met. There was no sin. They lived in minute-by-minute closeness with the God of the universe. They were even given the entire freaking world to rule and subdue - all its beauty, adventure, resources. All of it was God's gift to them. Then God added one teensy, weensy disclaimer. If you eat from that tree in the middle of the Garden, you will die. No more endless goodness on earth. There will be evil, too; hence the name of the tree. Was God holding out on evil in this world? Adam and Eve chose (thanks to their gift of free will) a life of both good and evil. Do you think this is true? Please, tell me if I'm going out on a limb. I don't want to mislead anyone, including myself.

With the assistance of temptation by Satan, who (as Ann points out in her book) also wanted more and was ungrateful for what he had (which is how he became Satan), the ungrateful thoughts of Adam and Eve (God holding out on them) became ungrateful actions (eating of the tree). (Sorry for so many parentheses. This paragraph could use a flow chart!) God gave us everything, including himself, and we were not satisfied. We wanted -and were out to get- that which we could not have, did not yet have. Sin entered the world.

There are so many ways in which I, too, am not satisfied.

Please note I am not referring to a hunger for good things. "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9). These are the things of God. There are many things we strive for, however, that have nothing to do with God and his will for our lives, yet everything to do with wanting more, insecurity, and generally attempting to fill ourselves with things that are not God. To rid your life of these things, fill yourself to the brim with God's gifts. They are all around you, moments filled with his presence and purpose.

Oh, Lord, to be content with now. Oh, Lord, to be grateful with now, for this, for here in this place you have given me now. Oh, Lord, thankyou for the gift
of rain,
of early morning talks,
of coffee outside,
of a curious pup,
of bare feet,
of fresh air,
of droplets cool on the face and the toes,
of a smooth pen,
of fresh water,
of a full stomach,
of your wisdom,
of your love.












Thank you for the gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...