Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Desert run and burrito bowls


We went for a drive in Saguaro National Park this weekend. The only way through the park is an 8-mile loop-shaped road with lots of hills.


How hilly? Well, hilly like this.



On Labor Day, we will be running this road for fun at 6:30 in the morning. Well, us and 1198 other crazy people.

Why are we doing this, you ask. Won't it be about 100 degrees, you ask.

I don't know why, really. Just like I'm not really sure why I signed us up for that half marathon in October. I guess it's just because we've never done it before.

Sometimes I drive around town and think: I have never been in this place right here before. I like that feeling of a new place, a new sight, a new experience.


Oh, and then there's the view. This picture isn't even the half of it. Yesterday I was there doing my first practice run (quite the steep learning curve to go along with the steep terrain), and the view was just spectacular. It was cloudy overcast all over for the first hour or so. I wish I had a camera! The ridges and valleys are covered in green cactus and shrubs. This one valley with a stream running through it looked like Jurassic Park with cactus! It was gorgeous, and made me smile big four miles into the desert.

On another note, I made a delicious dinner recently. I copied it from Chipotle:

Burrito Bowls



First make this taco seasoning.

Next, put 1-2 pounds beef (I think I used round steak, it was on sale.) in crock pot on low, cover it with taco seasoning, and simmer all day, stirring occasionally.


Heat some black beans and cook some rice. Gather cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocado, and chopped lettuce.

Make your bowl in this order: rice, beans, beef, salsa, cheese, avocado, sour cream, lettuce.

By the way, if you're watching your weight, the serving pictured above comes in at about 500 calories. Just be sure to use about 1/2 cup each rice and beans, 3 ounces beef, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 avocado, and 2 Tbsp. low-fat sour cream.

This was so good that I ate my leftovers for breakfast!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...