Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Summer harvest soup

I guess I've been on vacation. Or maybe I just haven't been very inspired lately. Either way, I do have some pictures saved up to share with you. And where there are pictures, then I can always find something to say.



This is my favorite cookbook. I've been gradually cooking my way through it, and I've picked up the frequency a bit this summer.

Several weeks ago I made this:
Summer Harvest Soup



I thought it was delicious and liked the way it incorporated new (to me) vegetables. Husband appreciated it for its dipping qualities as he tends to shy away from heaping doses of vegetables. We always make soup with paninis.



Ingredients:

2 T. olive oil
1 large leek, both white and light green parts, rinsed well and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
7 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
3 small carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup trimmed and sliced (1-inch pieces) green beans
1/2 cup trimmed and sliced (1-inch pieces) yellow wax beans*
1 cup diced (1/2-inch dice) baby summer squash*
1 cup diced (1/2-inch dice) baby zucchini*
1/2 cup fresh shelled English peas
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 ear)
2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
2 T. coarsely copped fresh basil
1 T. fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese or pesto (optional)

*Either I couldn't find these items or they were too expensive for my budget, so I substituted extra of the other vegetables in their places.


I didn't realize how much fennel smells like licorice. I also didn't know that leeks are from the onion family, and thereby make a good subsitute for onions. I love cooking!

Directions:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over low heat. Add the leek, fennel, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occassionally, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft and fragrant but not browned, about 5 minutes.



2. Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. (Pour yourself a glass, too.) Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.

3. Add the carrots, green beans, and yellow beans and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the summer squash, zucchini, peas, and corn and let simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the bright vegetable colors will be lost.

4. Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme, and parsley and let simmer until heated through, about 1 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf. Serve the soup immediately, garnish with ribbons of Parmesan or a dollop of pesto, if desired.



This soup also freezes well. Allow the soup to cool, then pour it into quart-sized zip-lock bags, and store the bags horizontally/flat in the freezer. When reheating, defrost the bag for 10 minutes in a sink of water, then warm on the stove or in the microwave.

More recipes and stories to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...