Thursday, March 03, 2011

Scrumptious jambalaya

This is another paleo recipe...among my favorites. And I promised to my friend Jenn that I would post it so everyone could reap its tasty rewards.

Jambalya



Ingredients:
1 tbsp. olive oil, plus 1 tsp., divided
1/2 lb spicy sausage, sliced (look for andouille sausage)*
1 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 tsp. cajun seasoning, plus 1/8 tsp., divided**
1 bay leaf
16 oz. tomato sauce
2 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. water***
1 1/2 c. finely chopped cauliflower
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 lb. shrimp

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, sausage, onion, peppers, and celery. *I used ground sausage because I had it left over from using the other half pound in a breakfast. As such, I cooked and drained the sausage, then followed through with this step.

2. Saute for around 5 minutes, then add the seasoning and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute more. **I just estimated the seasoning here and with the shrimp (below). I hardly ever measure seasonings. I used this recipe for the seasoning, which I also estimated...may be why it had a good kick to it! Adjust for your preferences.

3. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. ***Looking back, I can't actually remember if I added the water in this step. Regardless, it had plenty of broth to it, so you may choose to skip the water. It's up to you.

4. Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute the 1/2 lb. of shrimp, 1/8 tsp. cajun seasoning, and a dash of cayenne pepper in 1 tsp. olive oil. Saute for 2 minutes, then stir into the jambalaya.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Testing, testing for Grandma:) Love you, Love Brooke

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...