Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Odds and ends

One month into the new year and so much is already under way. It seems like every January Matt and I start thinking about making our place new again. I clean it top to bottom and together we dream up ideas of how we want this home or our next home to be. Lucky for us we have the same ideas in mind!



Among the ideas has been a Poang chair from Ikea. We had plans to head to Dallas to get one. Then, while I was walking Charlie one day, I saw this one on the sidewalk outside a local thrift store. I could hardly believe my eyes. I literally stopped in my tracks because this was clearly going to be a deal!

I took the dog back home, hopped in the Jeep, and went back to see what they were asking. As it turns out, they wanted about 25% of the cost of a new chair! It needed a little elbow grease and laundry soap, but it was a good deal in my eyes. Now that it's cleaned up, we are thinking about getting a different color cover, but even with that it will still cost less than half the price of a new one. What a bargain!



I have been planning our next place for months, and part of that plan has included some kind of work space for me. I have a lot of ideas in my head for different projects (sewing, jewelry-making, etc.), but I need a place for them to be out instead of on the kitchen table. Finally it occurred to me that there was no need to wait until we moved. For no more than the $16 cost of this cute table cloth, I turned our old, sitting-in-the-corner card table into a one of a kind workspace for me!



This I thought would be a cute story. A few weeks ago our little dog Charlie was shivering because he had not yet dried from his bath a couple hours prior. He was sitting there staring at us (not that that is unusual). I picked up this throw blanket from the back of the couch. Thinking he knew just what I was going to do (which he did), Charlie laid down in his dog bed and let me wrap him up like this. What a sweetheart. He stayed like this, all wrapped up, for hours. At some point in the night I guess he got too warm and decided to climb out and sleep atop the blankety softness. Lucky dog.



And, just like that, we became dog people. Huh, I never saw it coming...



In other news, just about two weeks ago I attempted barefoot running! Matt has been doing this for months and having a grand time with it. This was my first time, and I was also really enjoying it until...I stubbed my toe. Now, hear me out, "stubbed my toe" might be underestimating it. I was running barefoot on the side walk, didn't bring my foot up enough (maybe I was tired or something as I'd run almost a mile barefoot by then?), and ripped off a good chunk of skin from the top of my toe and my the nail. Sorry for the mental image, but I made sure the actual image (above) would be clean.

After almost two weeks, I am back to walking normally now, and am pretty certain I have successfully avoided both serious infection and the risk of an ingrown toenail. I'm sure you wanted to know all of that! Nonetheless, I know I'll be trying it (the barefoot running) again soon. Does anyone out there have any tips for keeping my tootsies injury-free? I'd love to hear them!

Next up, my impromptu trip to Colorado, Matt the tree climber, and homemade spaghetti sauce!

3 comments:

  1. Shoes usually help the stubbed toe business :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked into running with Vibram 5-fingers? I used to wear these for skydiving and they are super comfy. They have the same effect as barefoot put you're more protected from stones and stubs.

    They're a little on the pricey side $90 or so depending on the style, but still cheaper than a good pair or running shoes, and if they can prevent injury, it might be worth it.

    Glad to see you guys are doing well. Give Matt my best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice, Courtney. Barefoot was kind of the point;)

    Yes, Ashley, Matt and I have both looked into the Five Fingers. Matt almost bought a pair (problem was he couldn't find his size in stock anywhere) and I tried them on too. I didn't care for the fit that well though so I didn't get any. Matt got a pair of Terra Plana Evos several months ago, and I'm thinking about getting some, too. The styling is more like traditional shoes, no separated toes, but the sole is all one thickness, at about 3 mm.

    I'm glad you're both doing well:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...