Monday, January 31, 2011

God, starring as protagonist, director, and producer

**If you read this this morning, it got mysteriously posted before I was finished. I think it had to do with my computer shutting down. Anyway, it was almost done, but I didn't get to wrap it up. So if you want to be wrapped up, please procede to the ending.** :)

Good morning! I have mentioned before the daily readings Husband and I receive from Ransomed Heart Ministries (the people who've written Wild At Heart, Captivating, The Sacred Romance, Epic, Love and War, Waking the Dead, etc. - they are some of our favorite authors). The daily reading, which is available as a free email subscription, is an excerpt from one of the books they have written.

This morning I was catching up on a few of the readings from the past few days. They were all good, but the one for today really caught my eye. The last few sentences, to be exact. Take a look and see what you think.



(Click on the image to enlarge it.)

Wow, to think of it that way, with God as the central character. God is the hero. God is the one we're identifying with and rooting for. God is.

This idea of God as the central character, yet also being the author, made me think of watching Braveheart this weekend. During the movie, you get so caught up in the character of William Wallace; his passion, perseverance, goodwill for his countrymen. He is courageous, smart, and talented. His purpose is so clearly good, and not just good for his own sake, but good for all people. He is stirring up their hearts, pleading for them to leave behind their play-it-safe* attitudes, and join him on his quest for real live freedom. Then at the end of the movie, as the credits rolled, I noticed that Mel Gibson is protagonist, director, and producer of this movie.

I am NOT saying Mel Gibson is God. Please don't misread me. What I am saying is that, likewise, God is the protagonist, director, and producer of our lives. He is stirring up our hearts (have I shared the chocolate milk analogy from my pastor yet?), pleading for us to leave behind our play-it-safe* attitudes, and join Him on his quest for real live freedom. The battle/journey/quest/adventure is happening regardless of your participation. Sorry to quote from Transformers, but "When you look back on your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?" Don't you want to know you took the risk ? It it doesn't work out, you can always come back to before, although I don't suspect this will be the case.

*This verse from The Message version of the Bible has become increasingly important to me lately:

"The master was furious. That's a terrible way to live! It's criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best, why did you do less than the least? ... Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And, get rid of this 'play-it-safe' who won't go out on a limb. Throw him out into utter darkness."
Matthew 25: 26-30

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...