Monday, March 01, 2010

We are spoiled



It is early in the morning and I am feeling contemplative. Outside I see the rain swooping down through the glow of the street light. I peer across our living room and remember our new "high-tech" (for us at least) set up.

About a month ago we Craig's-Listed our old TV and purchased a shiny new flat screen. The entertainment redo didn't end there. Last weekend we decided to set up the computer in the living room, using the TV for its monitor, just to see if we liked it. Well, we did! And because we don't like to get up off our hind ends, this weekend we found ourselves buying a wireless keyboard to go with the wireless mouse we already had. Now we can watch TV, view Netflix movies and shows, pay bills, and research anything on the internet all from the comfort of our couch.

On my contemplative morning, I think back to my first computer experience. The first thing I can remember is around 3rd grade, doing typing games. The whole goal of those "video games" was to type faster so you could get the rabbit to its carrot more quickly...and boast about having the speediest fingers in class. I LOVED typing! I also remember, of course, the adventure of Oregon Trail and all the memories therein. How else does a child learn about things like dysentary and how much a pound of coffee cost a century or two ago?
I also remember my best friend Ashley Pifer getting a computer in 5th or 6th grade. She was allowed to miss school the next day scott-free because getting a family computer was such a new and exciting thing. It didn't take long for every family on the block to be expected to have a computer, and eventually we got one, too. By that time, though, you couldn't miss school just because you got a computer anymore.

Twenty years ago no one would have thought our living room scenario possible. It's amazing how quickly things change. The other scary thing is, what we've done isn't even that "new" anymore. The current technology is far past a computer hooked to a TV. Who knows where things will be in a year? Okay, contemplativeness done. It's just food for thought anyway. And even moreso now that I'm reminded I'm not even typing on the big screen computer/TV. I'm using the laptop, which now finds its home on the "office side" of the bedroom.

2 comments:

  1. That is quite the set-up Brooke! We have thought about pulling a chord through our walls so we could do the Netflix thing too! We watch enough movies!! I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are spoiled....JK Looks like a wonderful set up to me!!!


    Since moving we decided against "hooking up" cable. We decided that TV took much of our time. however, we did break down and sign up for netflix instant streaming which has been great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...