Monday, July 21, 2008

Two new favorites



These delectable dulces are Chewy Cocoa Cookies. I found this recipe in my recipe box recently and they are amazing. Debbie, it says this recipe is from you, but I can't remember having them before. They are terrific though, a new favorite for sure, and I will be making them often!

Here is the recipe:
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. light brown sugar
7 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 c. plain yogurt (whole milk)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine flour, soda, and salt. In separate bowl, add sugars and sift in cocoa. Add slightly melted butter. Blend. Add yogurt and vanilla. Mix thorougly. Add the dry flour mixture and stir. Add chocolate chips and stir. Bake 9-11 minutes, cool on pan, then on rack.



My second new favorite item is this tea. I am finally over being sick. Four weeks ago I started another round of allergy-related congestion, runny nose, coughing, and sinus pressure. This has only ever happened to me here, and whenever it starts I end up with a sinus infection. This time I was determined not to go to the doc and get antibiotics. I don't like taking them and I figure if I do take them, I will only be less able to fight this off myself next time. So, two weeks ago I put myself on a strict regimen of all things high in vitamin C and echinacea tea. I was drinking three cups of tea daily, per the recommendation on the box, and experienced tremendous effects in one week. I never really knew if tea could fight illness, but it can and I am so grateful! I did take some other medicines for symptom control (mainly loratadine and ibuprofen), but I will definitely be looking for natural remedies like this more often now.

P.S. We leave for Colorado tomorrow and we are sooooo excited!! We plan to leave tomorrow evening and get there midday Wednesday. Beth and John's wedding is Saturday. Sunday we will head to Estes Park for a few days of backpacking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brooke & Matt,
    Thanks sooo much for all of the pictures and "life thoughts". Brooke, you are so deep for such a young person! How can I aspire to be more like you when you are sooo young?! haha! I can appreciate your efforts to buy organic and to try to reduce your energy usage! I have joined a "grocery club" which is great for the grocery bills.... and like to buy my meat from local farmers so that I know where it is processed and how it is raised. Also, you would be so proud of our family with recycling thanks to YOU! Again, as a young girl at your graduation nonetheless~ you recycled and made me realize the importance of it! We now throw away about 1 to 1 1/2 gas of trash a week. Not bad for a family of 6! If I could find a place to recycle #5's I'd really be in the good! Uncle Dave built me an awesome recycling center in my garage and made it so easy! THanks Brooke! So, life at the Millers is changing in many ways... all emotional!!! With Paul leaving for college, and Scotty starting Pre-school, I am very emotional! I have even gone so far as to ask both of them to stay home! haha! I know God has given them wings and I have to do my best to let them fly away and pray that Paul will remember the flight home once in a while! He really won't be that far away..... like Colorado! I can't imagine how your parents did it! It is so nice to hear from you ~ love your apt. and touched to see a few wedding gifts from Aunt Holly & Uncle Dave being used! You are so special Brooke~ keep sharing and touching many lives!

    Love to you both!
    Aunt Holly, Uncle Dave and boys!

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...