Thursday, July 17, 2008

Delight


I have had a hard week at work and was growing increasingly frustrated today. It seemed like everything was going wrong, you know what I mean. It has also been on my head though that lately I am looking in all the wrong places to be satisfied, even though I know God is the only one who can fill me up. So I prayed for Jesus to come into my heart and fill that space once again. Immediately this verse popped into my head.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

Emily Hunter, if you're out there in blog-land somewhere, it is because of you that I first really discovered this verse. You wrote it on a piece of scrap paper for me back in my freshman year of college when you were my RA. I came home today and pulled that piece of paper out from the pocket of a notebook where I keep it to remind me as needed. Thank you!

So I was driving home from the gym thinking to myself (a.k.a. praying), "I know the desires of my heart," and I was describing them, "but how do I delight myself in the Lord? What does that really look like?" The thought process had kind of fizzled out by the time I got home, but I was still stuck with a feeling of needing to be rejuvenated.

Then the raindrops started dripping slowly on my car windshield. As I arrived home and started to walk to our building, it escalated to a gentle but steady rainfall. I understood that God intended me to sit, grocery bags and all, and enjoy the rain. So I sat on the step and let the rain soak through my gym clothes. Clarity slowly made its way into my mind and peace to my body. This was delight in the Lord. And the desire of my heart that he gave me? Also, delight.
(Just FYI, I don't take credit for the picture of the raindrops. I found it on Yahoo images. I just can't stand not to include a picture with a post.)

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love those times when God inspires you to do something just a little out of the ordinary, and it can completely change your point of view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we can find all the answers in our God if we just ask. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...